Who'd have thought that the rice that you enjoy with your Chicken Tikka Masala could have so many other uses? Here are five other great uses for rice that you may not have tried:
1. Dry out water damaged electronics: Dropped your phone in the toilet? Tried to wash it in the washing machine? Don’t panic! The miracle of rice may be able to bring it back to life. Simply place the water damaged item in a bowl or container of rice and place in a warm area (on top of the fridge, airing cupboard etc). Rice absorbs humidity and liquids and depending on the severity of the damage, your soggy phone may be saved if you let it sit in the rice for 12 to 24 hours.
2. Prevent salt clumps: To prevent the salt in your salt shaker from forming clumps, try adding a few grains of rice. This is especially helpful in areas where it is often humid outdoors. The rice soaks up the humidity and allows the salt to stay in its normal un-clumped form. No more hitting the salt shaker on the table to get the salt to break apart!
3. Test oil temperature when frying things: When frying any type of food, you can test the oil by throwing in a grain of rice. If it floats to the top and bubbles, the oil is ready to use. If it sinks to the bottom, the oil needs more time to heat up.
4. Sharpen blender blades: If your blender is not performing as it should and leaving you with unwanted lumps, throw in a few cups of rice and blend for two minutes. It should sharpen the blades nicely so they will blend smoothly again (use only rice when doing this, do not add anything else).
5. Clean a dirty vase: Have you ever tried to clean a vase which is too small for you to get your hand into? If you add a handful of rice and some water and swirl it around for a minute or so, the dirt should be gone after a quick rinse out.